Getting around ABQ
You won't need a compass to get around Albuquerque. Just remember that the Sandia Mountains are always to the east!
For information on how to get from the airport to the Hotel Albuquerque, see here.
There are many transportation options in and around the city:
If you are staying at Hotel Albuquerque, the hotel will provide a
free shuttle each morning and evening between the hotel and the conference.
I missed the shuttle bus, what should I do?
- If you miss the shuttle, you will want to use the city bus
system. There are two routings that will get you to the UNM Continuing Education Conference
Center from the Hotel Albuquerque. Both routes will take about 40 minutes to an hour. For both, you need to go south down Rio Grande Boulevard
until you reach Central. At Central, you need to cross the street and wait at the "Rapid Ride" east bus stop.
Rapid Ride Blue Line 790 East
- - The Rapid Ride Blue Line runs every 20 minutes during the day. Take this bus east until you reach UNM Hospital, and get off there.
You are now on Lomas. Cross the street so that you are on the other side of the street, and walk west.
When you reach University, go right/north. Continue for about .7 miles, cross Indian School,
and the conference will be on your right.
Rapid Ride Red Line 766 East, then bus 16/18 East
- - This route involves less walking, but you have to change buses. The Rapid Ride Red Line runs every 15 minutes, the 16/18 bus about every 45 minutes
(map and weekday schedule for the 16/18 here,
weekend schedule here).
Take the Rapid Ride Red Line 766 to the Alvarado Transportation Center (~5 minute ride). Get off, and walk 2 blocks East on Central until you reach Broadway and Central. Wait on the Northeast corner of the intersection for bus 16/18. Take that bus until the stop "University at Indian School." The Conference Center will be at the Northeast corner of that intersection.
I don't want to wait for the evening shuttle back to the hotel, what should I do?
Bus 16/18 East, then Rapid Ride Red Line 766
- - Take bus 16/18 East from the southern side of the intersection of University and Indian School.
Ride until Central, then get off and change to the Rapid Ride Redline bus 766. Get off at Oldtown (Rio Grande and Central).
Walk north to the hotel.
- This is the easiest and most economical way of
getting around ABQ for a few days.
- -Each trip is $1, or 35 cents for those
62 and older.
- -An unlimited day-pass is $2 and is available for purchase on all
- -See the Albuquerque Bus
Website to see maps, routes, etc. They also have a nice route planner to help get you wherever you
want to go.
- If you are bringing or renting a car, please know that there is plenty of free parking available at both Hotel Albuquerque and the conference
center. Some other hotels in town will charge for parking.
- Much of the parking at the Continuing Education Conference Center is
behind the building.
- Bringing your bike? See the Albuquerque Trail Map to see the great bike
trails that the city has to offer as well as which city streets have a bike lane
or are widened for bikes.
- Don't forget about your own 2 feet! There are many distinct
areas in Albuquerque, including UNM/Nobhill, Downtown, Oldtown. While it is not
easy to walk from one district to another, once you are in any of these regions,
walking is the easiest way to go.