Biennial Conference on Laboratory Phonology
The biennial Conference on Laboratory Phonology brings together researchers across the many relevant disciplines to present work on the phonological patterns and structures of natural languages. All oral paper sessions are plenary, and are organized to promote discussion across the disciplines. Each session groups together invited and submitted talks on a conference theme and ends with a talk by an invited discussant followed by an open discussion by the entire conference audience. Since the second conference in 1989, there have also been one or more poster sessions, which also are plenary, and there have been satellite events such as parasessions and workshops at some of the conferences as well.
Upcoming Conference: LabPhon16
The 16th Conference on Laboratory Phonology will take place at Universidade de Lisboa in Lisbon, Portugal, in 2018.
Bids for LabPhon17
The Association for Laboratory Phonology welcomes bids to host the 17th Conference, to be held in 2020. Interested individuals and groups are encouraged to make informal contact with the Association President Kenneth de Jong (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss plans. See the Association's posted guidelines for hosting a LabPhon conference.
- LabPhon15 (2016), Ithaca, New York
- Conference web site.
- Satellite workshops on:
- Tools for big data in laboratory phonology
- Speech dynamics, social meaning, and phonological categories
- Dynamics and representation of turbulent sounds
- Exploring speech planning and production in children
- Higher-order structure in speech variability: phonetic/phonological covariation and talker adaptation
- Holistic phonological representations and their uses
- Perspectives on marginal contrasts
- LabPhon14 (2014), Tokyo, Japan
- LabPhon13 (2012), Stuttgart, Germany
- Conference web site
- Satellite workshop on Advancing Prosodic Transcription for Spoken Language Science and Technology
- Satellite symposium on Phonological and phonetic competence: Between grammar, signal processing, and neural activity.
- To see photos from the LabPhon13 conference click here
- LabPhon12 (2010), Albuquerque, NM, USA
- LabPhon11 (2008), Wellington, New Zealand
- LabPhon10 (2006), Paris, France
- LabPhon9 (2004), Urbana, IL, USA
- LabPhon8 (2002), New Haven, CT, USA
- LabPhon7 (2000), Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- LabPhon6 (1998), York, UK
- LabPhon5 (1996), Evanston, IL, USA
- LabPhon4 (1993), Oxford, UK
- LabPhon3 (1991), Los Angeles, CA, USA
- LabPhon2 (1989), Edinburgh, UK
- LabPhon1 (1987), Columbus, OH, USA