The Association for Laboratory Phonology holds an annual meeting for Members. In even-numbered years, the meeting is held during LabPhon. In odd-numbered years, when there is no LabPhon conference, the meeting is held at some other conference where many Association Members are likely to be in attendance. These locations so far have been:
- 2015 -- At the 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, 10-14 August 2015, Glasgow.
- 2013 -- At the 165th meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, 2-7 June 2013, Montreal.
- 2011 -- At the 17th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, 17-21 August 2011, Hong Kong.
Sponsored Conferences and Workshops
The Association for Laboratory Phonology has informal "sister organization" relationships with some other organizations, and also sponsors workshops and conferences other than the Association's own LabPhon conference series, at which members of the Association typically have a reduced registration fee. (This document describes how to request sponsorship.) The list of sponsored events includes:
Phonetics and Phonology in Europe 2017
The second PaPE conference will be held in Cologne, Germany, on 12-14 June 2017. The PaPE conferences are an interdisciplinary forum bringing together researchers interested in all areas of phonetics and phonology, both theoretical and applied, with a special focus on Laboratory Phonology. The Cologne PaPE conference complements this broad mission with the more specific aim of contributing toward a fundamental integration of the fields of phonetics and phonology.
Abstraction, Diversity, and Speech Dynamics
This LMU IPS conference aims to advance our understanding of the rich diversity of ways in which linguistic and social meaning are connected to the cognitive and physical aspects of speaking, by bringing together scientists from various disciplines engaged in research on areas such as memory and its relationship to abstraction, feedback and feedforward control systems, and modelling the association between discrete categories and continuous speech dynamics. It will be held at Herrsching am Ammersee on 3-5 May 2017.
7th Conference on Tone and Intonation in Europe
The 7th Conference on Tone and Intonation in Europe was held 1-3 September 2016, at the University of Canterbury in Kent. Congratulations to the two winners of the LabPhon Best Student Paper Award:
- Xin Li: Distinct listening patterns for cross-language listeners in the perception of sandhied tones in the Nanjing dialect
- Katharina Zahner: High pitch signals word onsets for German 9-month-olds: evidence for a pitch segmentation strategy
International Congress of Phonetic Sciences
The 2015 annual meeting of members of the Association was held at the International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, in Glasgow, Scotland. Congratulations to the two winners of the LabPhon Best Student Paper Award:
- Amelia Kimball: Categorical vs. Episodic Memory for Pitch Accent in English
- Harim Kwon: Spontaneous Speech Imitation and Cue Primacy
In addition, the following six student papers were singled out for a special mention:
- Luke Galea: Cues to Gemination in Word-initial Position in Maltese
- Nhung Nguyen: Affective Attitudes towards Asians Influence Perception of Asian-Accented Vowels
- Annika Nijveld: Exemplar Effects Arisen in a Lexical Decision Task, but Only under Adverse Listening Conditions
- Melissa Paquette-Smith: Spanish-Accented English in Spanish to English-learning 5-month Olds
- Timo Roettger: Word Stress in Tashlhiyt: Post Lexical Prominence in Disguise?
- Ilaria Torre: Investing in Accents: How does Experience Mediate Trust Attributions to Different Voices?
Thank you to all of our reviewers and congratulations to the prizewinners!
Phonetics and Phonology in Europe
The Association co-sponsored Phonetics and Phonology in Europe, held at the University of Cambridge on 29-30 June 2015. Congratulations to the two winners of the LabPhon Best Student Paper Award:
- Jessica Di Napoli (IfL-Phonetik, University of Cologne): "Speaker variation in the realization of phrase-final glottalization in Italian"
- Simon Todd (Department of Linguistics, Stanford University): "Pronouncing the Zs: Epenthesis in English plural possessives"
ProVar Workshop on Prosodic Variation, the 2nd Workshop of the project Interactive Atlas of the Prosody of Portuguese, was hosted by the Phonetics Lab at the University of Lisbon on July 9, 2015. The Association for Laboratory Phonology is a co-sponsor of the event, and a reduced fee is available for members. More information about the workshop can be found here: ProVar
The Workshop on Early Language - Lisbon was hosted by the Lisbon Baby Lab at the University of Lisbon on July 10, 2015. The workshop covered topics such as early language assessment, typical development, and language impairment. A reduced fee is availble for members of the Association of Laboratory Phonology. More information about the workshop can be found here: WELL 2015
Phonetics and Phonology in Europe is an international biennial conference held 29-30 June 2015 at the University of Cambridge. Members of the Association for Laboratory Phonology are eligible for a reduced rate for the conference registration fee. More information about the conference can be found here: PaPE2015
Laboratory Approaches to Romance Phonology VII is a co-sponsored conference held 3-5 September 2014, in Aix-en-Provence (France). This is the first time the conference was held in Europe. More information about the conference can be found here: LARP7.
This is a conference co-sponsered by ALP held 18-21 August 2014, in São Paulo, Brazil. More information about the conference can be found here: DINAFON 2014.
Gestural Coordination Within and Between Speakers in First Language Phonological Acquisition
This was a satellite workshop held in conjunction with LabPhon 14 on the day following the conference, 28 July 2014, in Tokyo. More information about the conference can be found here.
International Seminar on Speech Production
This was the tenth International Seminar in Speech Production, held 5-8 May 2014 in Cologne. More information about the conference can be found here: ISSP2014.
This was the sixth conference on Phonetics and Phonology in Iberia, held 25-26 June 2013 in Lisbon, Portugal. Here is a link to the conference web site.
Advancing Prosodic Transcription for Spoken Language Science and Technology II
This was a satellite workshop held in conjuction with PaPI 2013 in Lisbon. It was organized by Mariapaola D'Imperio and Martine Grice and was a followup to the first workshop on the same topic held after LabPhon13. Here is a link to the workshop website.
Introduction to Linear Mixed Models
This was a Tutorial Workshop offered by Matt Goldrick to Association Members who were in Montreal for the 165th meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, on 2 June 2013. Here is a link to the tutorial materials.
Advancing Prosodic Transcription for Spoken Language Science and Technology
This was a satellite workshop held after LabPhon13 in Stuttgart. It was organized by Jennifer Cole and Stefanie Shattuck-Hufnagel and addressed the challenge of prosodic transcription for research in spoken language sciences and for the development of computer speech technologies. Here is a link to the workshop program.